Firebird News

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Ibm Brasil - Firebird on Zseries (mainframes)


Celio Costa Carvalho from Ibm Brasil asked on devel-list and Nickolay responded:


>> I am trying to install Firebird in a zSeries machine (mainframe).
>>
>> When I issue the configure command I get :
>>
>> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes checking build
>> system type... s390-ibm-linux checking host system type...
>> s390-ibm-linux checking target system type... s390-ibm-linux
>>
>> And when I enter a make command I get :
>>
>> g++ -I../src/include/gen -I../src/include -ggdb -O3 -march=i586
>> -mcpu=i686 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-builtin -DNDEBUG
>> -DLINUX -pipe -MMD -fPIC -DPROD_BUILD -c
>> ../src/common/classes/alloc.cpp -o
>> ../temp/libfbcommon/common/classes/alloc.o
>> cc1plus: invalid option `arch=i586'
>> cc1plus: invalid option `cpu=i686'
>>
>> Could you help me saying how I compile the Firebird in a
>> zSeries or s390 machine ?

Firebird 2.0 has the framework for generic Linux builds of Firebird. Firebird 1.5 defaults to x86 build on Linux and this is what you see. It is cerainly possible to build 1.5.X on linux/ Anyways, if you are interested in getting Firebird to work on your platform I would recommend you to start with Firebird 2.0 codebase. You'll probably need to add a couple defines for your CPU architecture in a few places. Please get in touch with me if you are interested in producing this port and submitting patches for it.

>> Celio Costa Carvalho

Nickolay

No comments: